- SUCCESSFUL START TO 2021 WITH STRONG STRATEGIC POSITION AND LONG-TERM STRATEGY: ACTION PLAN 2025 "THE DATA-DRIVEN R&D AUTOBAHN TO CURES"
- GOOD PROGRESS WITHIN PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIPS AND CO-OWNED PORTFOLIO
- CONTINUED POSITIVE FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE; NO MATERIAL IMPACT THROUGH COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Hamburg, Germany, 11 May 2021:
Evotec SE (Frankfurt Stock Exchange: EVT, MDAX/TecDAX, ISIN: DE0005664809) today announced the financial results and corporate updates for the first quarter 2021.
RECORD LIKE-FOR-LIKE GROWTH OF BASE BUSINESS, STRONG BALANCE SHEET SUPPORTS ACCELERATING GROWTH
- Group revenues from contracts with customers increased by 11% to € 133.1 m (Q1 2020: € 119.4 m); Base business growth of 28%, adjusted for the end of the Sanofi payment (since April 2020) and unfavourable fx effects
- EVT Execute revenue growth of 16% (11% adjusted for material recharges) to € 136.9 m (Q1 2020: € 118.2 m), EVT Innovate revenues up 21% (20% adjusted for material recharges) to € 28.2 m (Q1 2020: € 23.3 m)
- Just – Evotec Biologics grew by more than 60% to € 9.7 m (Q1 2020: € 5.9 m)
- Like-for-like growth of adjusted Group EBITDA of 16%, despite higher R&D expenses; adjusted Group EBITDA of € 21.1 m (Q1 2020: € 30.0 m) affected by the anticipated end of the Sanofi payment (since April 2020) and unfavourable fx effects
- Increased expenses for unpartnered R&D of € 14.9 m (Q1 2020: € 11.4 m) according to strategy
- Strong balance sheet with comfortable net debt position of € 56 m (equivalent to 0.6x EBITDA) provides significant room for financing further growth; non-operating result benefits from fair value adjustment of the investment in Exscientia Ltd.
POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT WITH SEVERAL NEW AND EXPANDED PARTNERSHIPS; JUST – EVOTEC BIOLOGICS FURTHER GAINING MOMENTUM
- Multiple new and extended partnerships and alliances (e.g. with Annexon, Chinook Therapeutics, Related Sciences, Takeda, The Mark Foundation, …)
- New development collaborations and INDiGO contracts signed (e.g. Riboscience, Step Pharma, …)
- New iPSC-multi-year partnership with the Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf (“UKE”)
- Bristol Myers Squibb extend partnership in the field of targeted protein degradation
- Just – Evotec Biologics continuing on its success course: progress of the first J.POD® facility in Redmond on schedule; construction of first European “J.POD® 2 EU” expected to start in H2 2021
- Partnership on oncology project EVT801 with Kazia Therapeutics (after period-end)
- New BRIDGEs (“beLAB2122” and “beLAB1407” (after period-end))
- Projects entering into clinical phases (EVT894 (Chik-V); Immuno-oncology project A2a receptor antagonist (Exscientia))
- Implementation of next long-term strategic framework Action Plan 2025 “The data-driven R&D Autobahn to Cures”
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Evotec to retire from office effective as of the end of the Annual General Meeting on 15 June 2021 (after period-end)
GUIDANCE FOR FULL-YEAR 2021 CONFIRMED
- Business outlook for 2021 confirmed and mid-term targets given for the first time
- Group revenues expected to be in a range of € 550 - 570 m (€ 565 – 585 m at constant exchange rates) (2020: € 500.9 m)
- Adjusted Group EBITDA expected to be in the range of € 105 - 120 m (€ 115 – 130 m at constant exchange rates) (2020: € 106.6 m)
- Unpartnered research and development expenses expected to be in a range of € 50 - 60 m (2020: € 46.4 m)
INTRODUCTION OF MID-TERM GOALS ALIGNED WITH ACTION PLAN 2025
- Introduction of mid-term goals until 2025 at Capital Markets Day on 20 April 2021, targeting revenues growth to > € 1,000 m, adjusted EBITDA of ≥ € 300 m and unpartnered research and development expenses of > € 100 m
Given current global insecurities surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, a likely negative impact – though less pronounced than in 2020 – is already estimated within the guidance for revenues and adjusted EBITDA stated above.
More detailed information and financial tables are available in our interim statement for the first quarter published on the Evotec website under the following link: https://www.evotec.com/en/invest/financial-publications
The Company is going to hold a conference call to discuss the results of the first quarter 2021 as well as to provide an update on its performance in the reporting period. The conference call will be held in English.
Conference call details
Date: Tuesday, 11 May 2021
Time: 02.00 pm CET (08.00 am EST, 01.00 pm GMT)
From Germany: +49 69 20 17 44 220
From France: +33 170 709 502
From Italy: +39 023 600 6663
From UK: +44 20 3009 2470
From USA: +1 877 423 0830
Access Code: 94660964#
A simultaneous slide presentation for participants dialling in via phone is available at https://www.webcast-eqs.com/evotec20210511/no-audio.
To join the audio webcast and to access the presentation slides you will find a link on our homepage shortly before the event.
A replay of the conference call will be available for seven days and can be accessed from Germany by dialling +49 69 201744221, from UK by dialling +44 20 3364 5150 and from USA by dialling +1 (844) 307-9362.
The access code is 315614523#. The on-demand version of the webcast will be available on our website: https://www.evotec.com/financial-reports.