Evotec has over 15 years of experience in metabolic disease drug discovery, starting from target identification up to pre-clinical development. Through internal and collaborative efforts we have built a highly sophisticated and integrated drug discovery platform.
Broad expertise in metabolic disorders encompassing diabetes (Type 1 and 2), obesity, metabolic syndrome and associated co-morbidities such as diabetic complications and kidney/liver disease. A comprehensive in vitro/in vivo assay portfolio exists to study beta cell function and insulin sensitivity as well as energy dissipation in peripheral tissues for the treatment of obesity. In the therapeutic area of kidney/liver disease, we have a strong focus on fibrosis as well as on diabetic nephropathy.
Key capabilities of Evotec’s metabolic diseases discovery platform
Target identification and validation
Focus on identifying novel mechanisms and targets that have the potential to deliver drug candidates that prevent disease or even revert disease progression.
In vitro pharmacology
- High-content cellular analysis applied to phenotypic screens for new target classes in diabetes, obesity, chronic kidney & liver disease and muscle disease
- Assay development for both screening and validation
- Established cell lines and primary cells such as beta cells, adipocytes, myocytes, hepatocytes and podocytes
- Ex vivo primary islet, glomeruli, liver slices, and muscle preparations from animals and humans for compound profiling in physiologically relevant environments
- Viral genetic modification for mechanism of action studies and target validation in vitro and in vivo
In vivo pharmacology
- A variety of type 2 and type 1 diabetes models
- Models of Diet Induced Obesity (DIO) as well as genetic models of obesity, diabetes, and associated complications, e.g. liver disease, retinopathy and diabetic nephropathy
- Strong focus on acute and chronic kidney disease in particular with respect to fibrosis
- PK, PK/PD, mode of action studies, efficacy screening and in vivo pharmacology profiling
- In vivo pre-clinical imaging: comprehensive set of morphometry and histology solutions
Evotec´s in-house capabilities include high-throughput screening, structure-based drug design, medicinal chemistry, bioinformatics research, DMPK, proteomics, biomarker and reagent production platforms. These can be accessed to support and progress metabolic diseases drug discovery programmes.