Evotec offers unique proteomics and metabolomics services to address key issues in drug and biomarker discovery. We continuously advance our capabilities in mass spectrometry-based proteomics and metabolomics to ensure unrivalled comprehensiveness and data quality when analysing cells, animal models and patient samples.
Our offering comprises:
- Evotec Cellular Target Profiling™ and drug photoaffinity labelling for target deconvolution of bioactive compounds
- Chemical proteomics applications for unbiased and quantitative drug selectivity analysis in the context of native proteomes or sub-proteomes
- Global protein expression and modification analysis enabling unbiased drug mode of action and target engagement studies
- Proteome-wide discovery of biomarker candidates in cells, tissues and body fluids, complemented by targeted mass spectrometry platforms for validation of investigational protein biomarkers
- Targeted metabolomics for in vitro and in vivo quantification of metabolites in cells, tissues, body fluids or awake animals
- In-depth statistical and bioinformatics analysis
Chemical proteomics and target ID
Evotec scientists have pioneered chemical proteomics applications to support target deconvolution of bioactive compounds emerging from phenotypic screens. Cellular target identification is the crucial step to enable further drug optimisation and development.
Evotec Cellular Target Profiling™ is a powerful technology to identify specific cellular compound targets in lysates from any cell type or tissue. Evotec’s chemical proteomics offering further comprises photoaffinity labelling for covalent target capture in live cells.
- Evotec’s chemical proteomics approaches use high-end quantitative mass spectrometry to reveal and verify specific cellular targets of a drug
- Evotec Cellular Target Profiling™ determines target-specific dissociation constants for the compound studied, ranking targets according to their likely physiological relevance
- Drug photoaffinity labelling supports binding site identification in protein targets and complexes
Chemical Proteomics - Drug Selectivity and Activity Profiling
Evotec has established a world-leading chemical proteomics platform which employs high-end quantitative mass spectrometry for compound selectivity analysis in the context of native proteomes and sub-proteomes. Selectivity data about cellular on- and off-target liabilities is particularly useful to inform decisions at various stages of drug development, for example in the lead optimisation phase or in the pre-clinical candidate selection process.
Our offering comprises:
- Evotec Cellular Target Profiling™ for unbiased, proteome-wide selectivity profiling to identify and quantify compound interactions with cellular on- and off-targets
- KinAffinity® as Evotec’s hit-to-lead compatible approach for rapid target profiling of kinase inhibitors in cell and tissue samples. Unlike traditional biochemical kinase panel screening, the inhibitor’s target affinities are determined simultaneously for a large number of native kinases within their physiological cellular environment
Global Proteome Expression and Modification Analysis
Evotec offers industry-leading technologies for unbiased protein expression and modification analysis of almost any type of biological samples. Evotec’s global proteomics platforms support target discovery on the functional protein level.
Likewise, they enable unbiased mode of action studies, the identification of specific pharmacodynamic read-outs and lead compound prioritisation according to cellular activity profiles.
- High-end proteomics workflows monitor 10,000 distinct proteins, more than 20,000 phosphorylation sites, more than 8,000 ubiquitination sites, or more than 1,000 acetylation or methylation sites
- Leading expertise in quantitative mass spectrometry utilising metabolic or chemical isotope labelling or label-free quantification
Biomarker discovery and validation
Evotec offers a unique platform of innovative proteomics and metabolomics technologies to address key issues in translational biomarker discovery and validation in various therapeutic areas. Both the expertise and the data processing infrastructure are in place for accurate quantification across many different samples, enabling integrated, large-scale projects to discover and validate diagnostic, pharmacodynamic or predictive biomarkers.
Our offering comprises:
- Tailor-made workflows enabling either proteome profiling for quantitative analysis across hundreds of samples, or deep proteome profiling for detection of more than 10,000 proteins from cells or tissues
- In-depth, quantitative protein biomarker discovery in body fluid samples such as plasma and CSF
Evotec has established expertise and state-of-the-art methodologies in targeted metabolomics for the functional analysis of metabolic networks with applications in health, biotechnology and microbiology.
Evotec offers unique in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo targeted metabolomics services to address key issues in biomarker discovery and/or validation in various therapeutic areas including cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, CNS and cardiovascular diseases.
Applications of metabolomics include:
- Pre-clinical biomarker identification
- Disease mechanism and validation of animal models for disease
- Discovery of biomarkers for patient stratification as well as clinical safety and efficacy assessment
Our targeted metabolomics approach focuses on the analysis of specific group of metabolites related to certain metabolic pathways or a class of compounds including lipids (phospholipids, lysophospholipids, sphingolipids, and neutral lipids), endocannabinoids, eicosanoids, corticosteroids, neurosteroids, oxysterols, nucleotides free fatty acids, and nicotinamide metabolome.
Due to its sensitivity and specificity, our approach allows absolute quantitation of metabolites using selected reaction monitoring (SRM), with detection limit of ng/mL, in sample matrices (e.g. biofluids, cells, organs) and also in vivo on awake or anesthetised animals using microdialysis coupled with XLC-MS/MS.
Statistics and bioinformatics analysis
Evotec offers world-leading experience in the analysis of proteomics, transcriptomics, and other OMICs data supporting mode of action studies, the discovery of biomarker candidates, and the identification of novel targets.
Our offering comprises:
- Extensive quality control of experimental data using clustering and principal component analysis, outlier detection methods, and advanced normalisation methods
- Biostatistical analysis for the identification of regulated proteins, genes, or PTMs by applying statistical tests such as ANOVA, LIMMA, but also the in-house developed and peer-reviewed MeanRank test
- Functional analysis of affected pathways, protein classes, and protein complexes. This includes the identification of regulated sub-modules of protein-protein-interaction networks by means of the in-house developed, and published SubExtractor algorithm
- Data analysis pipeline for the identification of multivariate biomarker signatures using advanced machine learning methods
- Integrated software infrastructure supporting the processing of mass spectrometry raw data, quality control, statistical and bioinformatics analysis, data visualisation, and data storage