Biomarker discovery, development and validation is a key discipline to de-risk (later stage) drug discovery and development.
Biomarkers are defined as quantifiable biological parameters that can monitor the response of the body to a (disease modulating) agent, allow for diagnosis of a disease, or monitor disease progression and different sub-types of patients (potential responders vs non-responders to an agent). Such marker are monitored in biological fluids or tissues through a broad range of technologies.
At Evotec, we perform both unbiased biomarker discovery and hypothesis-driven biomarker discovery within a disease-relevant context. As a result, we develop and make use of disease-mimicking cellular and animal models to validate biomarkers. Most importantly, where possible, we work directly with patient material to ensure clinical translatability.
Relying on our strong drug discovery expertise, we aim to identify for our partners:
- Pharmacodynamic, efficacy and target engagement biomarkers
- Stratification biomarkers to support the identification of a target patient population
- Alternate tissue or pathway read-outs (surrogate biomarkers)
- Safety biomarkers to monitor toxicity
- Diagnostic tools or companion diagnostics
Evotec has a longstanding experience in applying various techniques and technologies to support biomarker studies in any type of cell, body fluid, tissue and animal model. These include, but are not limited to:
- Mass spectrometry-based proteomics and metabolomics
- Immunoassays, western blot, and flow cytometry
- Imaging, immunohistochemistry, and radiography