- The cornerstone of Evotec’s in vitro and in vivo pharmacology function is disease and target biology expertise coupled with state-of-the-art technology platforms
- Comprehensive in vitro pharmacology platform covering islet, kidney, muscle, hepatic, intestinal and adipose tissue-based mechanisms
- Highly developed, primary cell-based platform with a broad range of in vitro and in vivo models
- Highly experienced in vivo group with state-of-the-art metabolic phenotyping and maximally automated histology, imaging and image analysis
Evotec has over 15 years of experience in metabolic disease drug discovery, starting from target identification up to pre-clinical development and through internal and collaborative efforts has built a highly sophisticated and integrated drug discovery platform.
Besides a broad expertise in metabolic disorders encompassing diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome and associated co-morbidities such as diabetic complications and kidney disease and a comprehensive in vitro/in vivo assay portfolio, particular attention is placed on beta cell regenerative and insulin sensitivity approaches as well as energy dissipation in peripheral tissues for the treatment of obesity. In the therapeutic area of kidney disease, we have a strong focus on kidney fibrosis as well as on diabetic nephropathy.
Key capabilities of Evotec’s metabolic diseases discovery platform
Target identification and validation
- Focussing on identifying novel mechanisms and targets that have the potential to become disease-modifying preventing or even reverting disease progression
In vitro pharmacology
- High-content cellular analysis applied to phenotypic screens for new target classes in diabetes, obesity and chronic kidney disease
- Assay development both for screening and validation
- Cell line and primary cell models such as beta-cells, adipocytes, myocytes, hepatocytes and kidney cell lines like podocytes established
- Ex vivo primary islet, glomeruli and muscle preparations from animal and human for compound profiling in physiologically most relevant environment
- Viral genetic modification for mechanism of action studies and target validation
In vivo pharmacology
- Type 2 and type 1 diabetes models with a strong background in beta cell regeneration
- Models of diet induced as well as genetic models of obesity, models of diabetic complications, e.g. retinopathy and diabetic nephropathy models as well as a strong focus on acute and chronic kidney disease
- DMPK, PK/PD, mode-of-action studies, efficacy screening and in vivo pharmacology profiling
- In vivo pre-clinical imaging: Comprehensive set of morphometry and histology solutions
Capabilities such as Evotec’s high-throughput screening, structure-based drug design, medicinal chemistry, bioinformatics research, DMPK, proteomic, biomarker and reagent production platforms can also be accessed to support and progress metabolic diseases drug discovery programmes.
For more information on our services and partnerships in the metabolic disease space, please click on the links below or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.