- EvostrAInTM – An extensive range of geographically diverse human bacterial and fungal pathogens covering isolates susceptible and resistant to current antimicrobial drugs
- Comprehensive range of established in vivo models and development of customised and bespoke models
- Expertise with multiple classes of anti-infective agent including small molecules, natural products, peptides, antibodies, other biologics and vaccines
Evotec provides bespoke anti-infective drug discovery and development services from target identification to investigational new drug (“IND”) and has an established and proven track record including contributing to the discovery and development of multiple anti-infective agents including pre-clinical and clinical candidates through to marketed drugs.
Evotec has established a leading-edge platform enabling the discovery and development of new therapies and vaccines to treat and prevent serious and life-threatening infections arising from Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria including multi-drug resistant (“MDR”) organisms, Clostridium difficile and fungal pathogens. Evotec’s expertise also reaches beyond conventional antimicrobial agents into other platforms such as targeting of virulence attributes, specific pathogen antibodies, combination therapies and phage technologies.
Our anti-infective discovery team of over 30 FTEs has experience with multiple compound classes: small molecules, natural products, biologics, peptides, antibodies, combinations, biocides and vaccines. We carefully evaluate and adopt the most efficient and best drug discovery approaches from phenotypic screening to target-based discovery. Evotec has extensive experience in multiple target classes including folate, non-mevalonate, aromatic biosynthesis, protein synthesis, ribosome, virulence attributes and resistance pathways as well as determining the mechanism of action (“MOA”) of new antimicrobials discovered from phenotypic screening.
Key capabilities of Evotec’s anti-infective discovery platform
- Comprehensive collection of strains and clinical isolates used to establish the activity profile of lead compounds and candidates, both in vitro and in vivo
- Highly characterised strains with mechanisms of resistance defined in many cases
- Extensive range of geographically diverse human bacterial and fungal pathogens that cover isolates susceptible and resistant to current antimicrobial drugs
- Industry-standard methods adopted including CLSI, EUCAST and BSAC to test compounds for antimicrobial activity against organisms from our extensive collection, EvostrAInTM, or strains provided by our collaborators
- HTS (whole-cell) and medium-throughput screening for antimicrobial activity for hit identification
- MIC, MBC/MFC, timekill and PAE studies using single or combination agents and resistance frequency assays
- Early assessment of cytotoxicity potential against multiple mammalian cell lines
- Hollow fibre PK/PD or bioreactor human cell systems for detailed profiling for characterisation of novel anti-infective agents and compound/drug combination studies for assessment of synergistic, antagonistic and additive effects
- Bespoke methods for susceptibility profiling developed for testing novel agents where standardised methods are not appropriate
- Mechanism–of-action (“MoA”) determination and in vitro target validation studies
In vivo models of infection
- Specialist in assessing the efficacy of lead and candidate compounds in highly relevant and validated disease models across all important pathogens including the ESKAPE organisms
- Extensive range of established models that are well-suited to the development of multiple classes of agent including small molecules, natural products, peptides, antibodies, other biologics and vaccines
- Bespoke service and customised studies to meet the exact requirements based on programme needs and parameters/endpoints of interest
- Compound efficacy assessment against bacterial and fungal infection addressing different sites of infection (localised and systemic):
- Gram-positive (including Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae and multiple other strains),
- Gram-negative (including Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli, Acinetobacter baumanii and multiple other strains)
- Anaerobes (including Clostridium difficile),
- Fungal species (including Candida sp., Aspergillus sp., Mucorales, Malassezia sp. and multiple other strains)
ADMET & PK/PD profiling
- ADME/PK profiling specific to the development of anti-infectives
- Bioassay/bioactivity drug quantification
- Development of bespoke PK models and assays with drug quantification in multiple tissues/sites
- Translation of PK data into efficacy models to optimise outcomes and ‘humanisation’ of PK/dosing
- Tolerability assessment of new compounds utilising multiple endpoints
Capabilities such as Evotec’s high-throughput screening, structure-based drug design, medicinal chemistry, bioinformatics research, proteomic, biomarker and reagent production platforms can also be accessed to support and accelerate anti-infective drug discovery programmes.
For more information on our services and existing partnerships in the anti-infective space, please click on the links below or contact us at email@example.com.